Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Beginning


The Right Point Too!

“To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.”
Abraham Lincoln

I have been posting to FB for quite some time and at the encouragement of some of my friends I have decided to start this blog.  My first posting will be how it all started and why I do this today.
...
When I was attending college I was bothered by the lack of competition the school enforced in our book buying by not providing us a list of books ahead of time. All I wanted was the list of books so I could take that list to a local book store to save a few bucks. Yep, this was the mid 90s back in the days before the Internet, no Amazon, GASP! I took the normal route of asking the school to provide it earlier and was ignored. One day it hit me, I could get more publicity by writing an article in the school newspaper. I did. It worked, and I was able to save a few bucks on my school books.

Buoyed by this success I started to write about other things of interest to me. Those were the days of Clinton so there was plenty of political fodder. I also wrote of the school curriculum, cost of education, and as a result I even got an audience with the Dean to talk about the quality of education. In that discussion one of his questions was “Why should I listen to a student?” My response was because I “was his paying customer.” He laughed, and said “I was not his customer, the businesses which hired us was his customer.” Publishing such a statement was about like “the 47%” or “you didn’t build that” to the student body. My article even got the dean to write a follow up where he denied saying it. My first direct introduction to the lies told by the ones in power.

The school newspaper’s circulation increased by 2 to 3x while I was writing. I gained enough notoriety among the faculty one time at the start of class a professor calls out my name the first day of class and after I said “here” she goes “come up here!” I thought I was in a lot of trouble. “I just wanted to shake your hand and thank you for all you have done for this school.”

Somewhere along the line I named the column “The Right Point!”, reflecting my ideas were obviously leaning to the right and that I was always right. Recently a college friend of mine, noticing my FB postings, said I should start it back up again or start a blog. After some thought I decided to start the “The Right Point Too!”.

Why do I take the time to write these articles today? One of my favorite professors was my Economics professor, Thomas Rustici. He was conservative in nature and in explaining economics he would contrast the economics of Clinton and the left with real economic theory. Much of this was Keynesian vs. neo-Classical economics. One day the class asked him:

“If the left is so wrong how come their ideas prevail?”

“The best and the brightest of the left go into politics, media, and teaching while the best of the right are busy in making the country work in business. The right ends up sending their B team to compete in politics against their A team and they have the media behind them, while the young get educated by the left. “

“Why are you teaching then?”

“I asked myself, what would a Thomas Jefferson or George Washington be doing today if alive, and I think they would be going around teaching people. That is why I teach.”


He is still teaching today, http://mason.gmu.edu/~trustici/. One of his best quotes, “what is politics? Poly meaning many and tic(k)s or blood sucking parasites. The fewer blood sucking parasites you have the better off you are.”

“Whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government.”
Thomas Jefferson

I see these articles as attempting to spread the word using the modern tool of social networking. Perhaps George and Tom might do the same thing if still alive? Giving that some thought, I may teach after I retire from my current profession. Scary thought for some of you, uh?

The Right Point Too! is not generally going to be about a candidate or a party, at least not the Rs and Ds that I think are more about party than Country these days. It is about ideas and concepts that will better society and Country by applying economic principals and embracing human behavior rather than trying to change it. I have a strong belief in the wisdom of our Founding Fathers and our Constitution. It has produced the greatest and freest country on the Earth.


“Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.”
-Abraham Lincoln



Our decline will be the result of us moving away from these foundations and falling into the trap of all great societies which have reached their pinnacle only to collapse upon their own weight of apathy and laziness. We have an opportunity to delay this, possibly even avoid it for the first time in history, but one thing is certain the longer we wait the longer it will take.
"Democracy is a form of government that cannot long survive, for as soon as the people learn that they have a voice in the fiscal policies of the government, they will move to vote for themselves all the money in the treasury, and bankrupt the nation."
— Karl Marx
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
— Benjamin Franklin

I do not delude myself I will be changing many, if any, minds. That is not my goal. My goals are to stimulate discussion and thought. If I do change a mind or two, that is just gravy. I welcome your thoughts on my articles and if you just say something like this is just my opinion I will not even comment on it. I value all feedback as it helps me better my own ideas.
"An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people."
-Thomas Jefferson

That is my opinion and The Right Point Too!

No comments:

Post a Comment